NAB 2015 is behind us but we still have plenty of videos to share from this interesting video expo and many of them has to do with LEDs. This time around we look at the new tiny, battery powered Fresnel LED light from Litepanels called Caliber.
During the expo B&H’s Steve Gladstone had a chance to talk to Alan Ipakchian, from Litepanels, the company behind the Caliber who gave a quick look at this innovative new light which currently only comes at a kit (which includes 3 units plus quite a few accessories).
Here are some of the main features of the Caliber (you can find out more on Litepanels’ website):
- Single source Fresnel LED – 17W power draw with output comparable to a 150W Tungsten which produces soft, directional illumination.
- Multi-jointed mounts allow the lights to be fixed in a number of positions.
- Flicker-free at any frame rate or shutter angle.
- Ultra-smooth dimming from 100% to 0, with no noticeable color shift throughout the entire range.
- Configurable soft case allows for easy customization.
- Power Supply: AC/DC 120-240VAC DC Power via six (6) AA batteries (gives half the power when working on batteries).
- Color Temperature Daylight.
- Beam Angle 15°-73°.
- Fresnel Lens 2” / 5cm.
- Size Flood 9.6x3x3” / 24.4×7.6×7.6cm.
- Size Spot 8.8×2.7x3x3” / 22.4×7.6×7.6cm
- Weight of each unit 1.3 lbs / .59kg
- Kit Weight just under 13 lbs / 6kg.
- Price: the full kit with 3 lights + accessories and a bag currently sells on B&H for just under $900.
An official video from Litepanels showing the Caliber in action
You can find out more on HDSLR related products on our HDSLR gear section.