Earlier today Canon introduced the long awaited EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. This new fast prime brings with it a new design, new optics and a new STM AF motor which should be faster and quieter for both video and stills work.
The older EF 50mm f/1.8 II has been around for years and now finally Canon released a new version with an STM AF system for silent fast and smooth operation especially in video – something that you might be able to see in the quick demo above.
The new EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Here are some of the specs of the new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens:
- 50mm f/1.8 lens with full-frame format coverage.
- Metal mount (unlike the previous model).
- New optimized lens coatings.
- STM AF Motor.
- Manual Focus Override.
- Rounded 7-Blade Diaphragm.
- Minimum Focus Distance: 14″ (35cm).
- Max magnification: 1:4.7.
- Price: $125.
An official quick video by Canon Hong Kong about the new lens
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section on our photo gear channel.