First Look at the Panasonic Lumix G9 and the 200mm F2.8 Leica
Earlier today Panasonic announced several new products including a new stills oriented flagship called the G9 (the GH5 will continue to be the company’s main video oriented camera) and a new high-end Leica micro 4/3 200mm f/2.8 lens with teleconverters.
The new G9 has a lot in common with the GH5 which has been a big success for Panasonic and the company want’s to recreate this success story with stills shooters as well and was able to pack a ton of very high-end features into this camera – some come from the GH5 itself such as the sensor and video capabilities (well some of them at least – both cameras can shoot 4K at 60p but the G9 doesn’t have some of the more advanced features of the GH5 such as 10bit shooting).
Above you can see Gordon Laing’s view of the G9 with some comparisons to the GH5. Below is another first hands-on by Clifton Cameras which might also be worth watching.
G9 hands-on at the zoo
Here are some of the main features of the new G9:
- Sensor: 20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor (no AA filter – same as the GH5).
- Processor – a new Venus Engine Image Processor.
- Video resolution: 4K/60p – no crop.
- ISO – up to 25600.
- Continuous shooting – 20 fps with AF and 60fps with the electronic shutter (up to 50 frame buffer RAW).
- 6.5-Axis Sensor Stabilization (the most advanced in the industry); Dual I.S. 2.
- Slow motion (Variable Frame Rate): Max of 180fps/23.98 in FHD.
- Improved Auto Focus (0.04 sec).
- Full size HDMI (Type A/USB 3.1).
- 3″ 1k dot Free Angle touch monitor (smaller and lower res than the GH5).
- Info screen on the top.
- 3,680K dot panel resolution, 0.83x magnification (35mm-equivalent) and 21mm eyepoint (larger than the GH5).
- SD Card Slota: dual UHS-II U3.
- A new magnesium-alloy body, splashproof, dustproof and freezeproof to 14°F (-10°C)
- Bluetooth 4.2 + WIFI 2.4/5Ghz.
- Weight: 23.2 oz (658 g) includes batteries.
- Power: Same batteries as GH4/GH5 (with USB charging option).
- Price: $1700 (available – January 2018).
As we mentioned Panasonic with Leica also announced Leica DG Elmarit 200mm F2.8 Power OIS telephoto prime. This is an extremely impressive telephoto lens (all metal) with 15 elements, built in IS very fast AF and interestingly it comes with a 1.4x teleconverter (you can also buy a new 2x teleconverter). The lens isn’t super light though for a 200mm f/2.8 – it is around 1.2kg where a Nikon Full frame 180mm f/2.8 is around 700 grams (that lens is old though and does not have VR but it is a FF lens so the Leica is a very heavy beast). The main drawback, besides the weight, is the price – at $3000 – this is going to be something that is going to stretch the budget for a lot of users.
The new Leica DG Elmarit 200mm F2.8 Power OIS telephoto prime
You can find many more photography gear announcements and new products on our photography gear section here on LensVid.