On this video, our colleague photographer and videographer Curtis Judd, take a look at the new iRig Pre HD Adapter by IK multimedia. This tiny unit can take any XLR mic and convert the sound into a signal that your iPhone, MAC or PC can record.
There is an endless amount of recording devices available today on the market. Even if you are just considering smartphone recorders there are many available options, however, if you want to get a very high-quality signal from a good XLR mic and feed it into your smartphone – there are far fewer options.
The iRig Pre HD according to Judd, is small, well built, has a headphone out (with real-time monitoring option) and can connect through Lightning to an iPhone or with micro USB to Android or a computer (see more on that here).
Maybe the most important feature is the very low noise floor – especially if you are using a high-quality XLR mic.
iRig Pre HD features
- MFi microphone interface certified by Apple “Made for iPhone and iPad”
- Compatible with Mac and PC
- Direct monitor switch for real-time monitoring or for playback
- +48V Phantom Power (with 2 x AA batteries)
- Class A mic preamp with onboard gain control
- Onboard headphone output (works with the latest iPhone)
- High definition 24-bit converters with up to 96kHz sampling frequency
- Multicolor LED for easy gain settings
- Includes IK’s renowned, professional software and apps
- Ultra-light and compact
- Sleek and elegant design
- Comes with USB and Lightning cables, 2 x AA batteries and a velcro mounting strip
The iRig Pre HD is also relatively inexpensive – selling for under $100 on Amazon.
Official IK multimedia video showing the iRig Pre HD (mostly for music recording which is another useful way you can use it in)
You can check out more of Judd’s videos which focus mostly on audio and video here on LensVid, finally, if you are into sound recording for video productions check out this link which covers both equipment and techniques here on LensVid.