On January 2014 Nikon announced the D3300 – its (than) latest entry level DSLR. Two an a half years later we have a new model – the Nikon D3400 and two APS-C lenses.
In the above video Matt Granger talks about the D3400 and the two 70-300mm lenses Nikon announced today.
The Nikon D3400 – innovation?
The Nikon D3400 specs (all the specs are similar to the D3300 unless stated otherwise):
- 24.2-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor (with no AA filter for sharper images).
- Nikon’s EXPEED 4 image processor (same as with the D3300 but with increased official sensitivity – ISO 25600).
- Shooting speed – up to 5fps.
- 1080p @60p video recording (but unlike the D3300 – no mic input and the accessory terminal has been removed as well).
- Enhanced Guide Mode to provide step-by-step photo instructions.
- Smaller lighter body (a bit stronger and slightly lighter than the D3300).
- Improved battery life (1200 images per charge vs. 700 for the D3300).
- Snapbridge technology for wireless image transfer to your smartphone (did not exist in the D3300, but note that the D3400 has no WIFI).
- Price: just under $650 (pre-order now on B&H).
So the D3400 is a minor improvement (an at least when it comes to audio – actually a downgrade) compared to the D3300 – we can only hope that Nikon will introduce something more significant for Photokina 2016 next month (we will be there to take a look).
Besides the D3400 Nikon also announced two very similar 70-300mm lenses – the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR and the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED (with no VR). These are meant as smaller, cheaper versions to Nikon’s existing (faster, larger and older ) AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED. The two lenses will be priced at $350 and $400 dollars.
The new AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR
In case you were wondering “AF-P” in the lens name indicated (according to Nikon): “lenses that achieve fast and quiet AF with adoption of a stepping motor for AF drive operation”.
The non VR version
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section.