Recently, the ICANN (or Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) the organization responsible for the internet domain names (.com, .org, .net etc.) came up with a full list of new domain names including several ones which are especially interesting for photographers and people in the photography industry (Oh, yes – if you came here just to find the discount/coupon link for the 32% off price on the new domains – skip to the bottom of this article).
New domain names for photographers
The new domains include:
More photography related domain names might be coming in the future but keep in mind that as always with domain names, its first come first served and good domains are grabbed early, so if you are thinking about getting one – do that as soon as possible.
There are a few advantages and disadvantages to using the new photography domains over more conventional domains (such as .com or .net). Lets start with the advantages fist:
- Domain name is an asset (just like real estate only ), it can increase in value over time and if you invest in it (create a website which brings in readers and money) it can eventually be worth many times what you have payed for it.
- Domain names related to photography combined with a strong name can improve your SEO results for that name (and possibly other related words as well).
- Using .photography (or .graphics if you are a graphic designer or image editor) is a great professional way of reaching out to your clients (think about your business card with your name .photography on it).
There are some disadvantages as well although keep in mind that they might very well be eliminated over time (some of them maybe even in the very near future):
- search engines still prefer existing domain names (such as .com .org .net etc.), however in recent years it became almost impossible to locate good, catchy (not to mention short) domain names with .com ending.
- The new domain names are still not very well known by most users (they might even not understand that you are giving them a domain name at all). However this might change over time as these domains will become more and more familiar.
- It used to be that web browsers did not recognize the new .photography domain names as such and returned the search results page instead of taking you directly to the web address – however from a test we have done today it seems that this problem doesn’t exist anymore (see for yourself – enter https://leica.photography into your favorite web browser and see what happens).
We are not going to tell you what to do here (although we already grabbed our own .photography domain with our name just to be sure), but the whole idea is pretty cool,especially since, as we noted before, good .com domains are running very very low these days.
So how do I get my own .photography domain with a 32% discount
As we promised, we were able to find a special deal for LensVid readers on the new domain names on GoDaddy . The deal will give you a 32% off the price of the domain so instead of $25 for a .photography domain you will only pay $17 a year (pretty cool isn’t it?), the somewhat more expensive .camera will be around $27 instead of $40.
All you need to do to get the discount is go to this link: GoDaddy 32% discount link (click it and look for your favorite domain on GoDaddy – i.e. “LensVid.photography” – your discount will already be calculated automatically).