In this video, photographer Jay P. Morgan from the Slanted Lens takes a look at the (stills) image quality of 6 different cameras shooting a very similar scene and comparing the results.
This video is not meant as a laboratory test but rather as a real world usage example, showing how different cameras behave in a similar situation. Morgan decided to test a number of very different cameras – some of them very popular – other – much less so.
The cameras used in this test are:
- iPhone 5C – 8MP (with a tiny 1/3.2” sensor). Currently $530 unlocked on Amazon.
- The iPad 3’rd gen – 5MP (similar in size or smaller than the iPhone). No longer available.
- Nikon D800 – 36.3MP (Full Frame sensor). Currently under $2800 on Amazon.
- Sony Alpha A7R – 36.4MP (Full Frame sensor). Currently under $2300 on Amazon.
- Canon Mark 3 – 22.3MP (Full Frame sensor). Currently under $3400 on Amazon.
- Canon 1D C – 18.1MP (Full Frame sensor). Currently under $10,100 on Amazon.
For us the clear winner in this test is the Canon 1D-C with second place going to the Sony A7R – which one looked best to you? (try and write it down before you actually know the answers!).
You can find all of Jay P. Morgan’s videos here on LensVid on the following link.