On this extensive video by lighting manufacturer Bowens, pro photographer Tony Corbell takes a look at 10 different uses that you can have for a softbox in different types of photography.
You do not always need complex lighting system to achieve perfect professional looking images. In this video Corbell looks at different types of shots that can be done with just one softbox.
- Product photography – a perfect light for jewelry (using just one softbox from above with a reflector)
- Edge or rim light to create depth in a portrait.
- Contemporary beauty look (again with one reflector).
- Lighting a face like a movie poster – lighting from below.
- Main light as background – killer silhouette.
- Light your subject and background together.
- Creating a “window” with your softbox – put a large white fabric between your model and your softbox.
- Bounce the softbox – you can create an effect that will help you increase the size of your light by using a wall.
- Using the softbox as a design element – shooting a wine bottle with a softbox that adds its own “texture”.
- Evenly light a group of people – create a really cool composite image.
Corbell gives some great tips for each one of these types of shots based on his years and years of experience.