First Impressions of the New Sony A77 Mark II
Earlier today Sony introduced an updated version to its 2012 advanced SLT camera – the A77 called the A77 II. The new version includes an updated sensor, processor and a completely new AF sensor with some very advanced capabilities.
The (very short) video above from the the guys at thephoblographer is probably the first quick hands on with the new camera. The most interesting new feature of this updated model is possibly the new AF sensor with no less than 79 AF points (more than any DSLR) with 15 cross type points and a center point with a sensitive F2.8 and -2EV.
The new A77 II – new sensor, processor and AF system as well as WIFI & NFC (but no GPS)
Main features of the A77 II:
- A new 24 megapixel “Exmor” CMOS (similar to that of the Sony A6000 but without the on-sensor phase detection AF).
- A-mount SLT camera (similar to the original A77).
- New Bionz X processor (the original A77 used an older slower processor).
- Sensitivity: 100-16,000 (expandable to 25,600 ISO).
- Continuous shooting: 12fps (buffer: 60 JPEG image buffer with 28 RAW).
- AF system: new system with 79 points (15 points cross type). Center point F2.8 sensor and -2EV. Covers 40% of the frame.
- LCD: 1.2 Million dot 3 inch, 3 way tiltable (higher res than the 920k of the A77).
- Viewfinder: 2.3 Million dot OLED (same as the A77).
- Shutter: 1/8000 up to 30sec (same as the A77).
- On sensor stabilization(same as the A77).
- WiFi and NFC (the A77 had WIFI and GPS but no NFC).
- Up to 3 Memory Recall settings (up from 1 on the A77). 11 customizable buttons.
- Dust and moisture resistant and magnesium body (same as the A77).
- Price and availability: $1200 (pre-order on Amazon) shipping in June 2014.
Official video by Sony showing the A77 II
Sony also announced today that it is developing two new lenses for its FE mount (currently the A7/A7R/A7S models). The first lens is being developed with Zeiss and will be the Zeiss FE 16-35mm f4 OSS – this is an ultra wide angle zoom lens with an image stabilizer that is similar to the Nikon 16-35mm f/4G ED VR II AF-S IF (currently on Amazon for around $1250). The second lens will be a FE PZ 28-135mm f4 G OSS designed and developed by Sony. It will also be stabilized and use power zoom to reduce its size (and possibly for video). No images or pricing has been released for these two lenses and they should be announced officially later this summer.
More images of the A77 II
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section on our photo gear channel.