Earlier today Tamron announced a new super zoom telephoto lens for Sony FE mount cameras – the 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Di III RXD. This compact long-zoom telephoto lens should be ideal for travel when paired with an A7 series camera and is small and light enough that you won’t feel like you are taking an uncomfortable weight on the go.
The 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Di III RXD has already leaked a few days ago and it brings a new type of lens to the Tamron existing line for Sony FE cameras which so far focused on professional constant aperture lenses. Although the target audience for this lens might be a bit different it is still designed with the sample principles in mind – small and light form factor, simple body design (no buttons except the zoom lock) and a similar filter thread (67mm) across the entire line. The lens is also weatherproof and uses a similar hood to some of the others in the line.
Here are some specs for the Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Di III RXD:
- 28-200mm focal length and FF coverage.with F2.8-5.6 aperture.
- 18 elements with 14 groups (including Aspherical, hybrid aspherical, extra-low dispersion, low-dispersion elements).
- Coating – BBAR coating.
- RXD low noise stepping motor for autofocus.
- Min focus distance – 19.1cm (7.5″) at 28mm and 80cm (31.5″) at 200mm.
- Macro magnification – up to 1:3.1.
- Filter thread – 67mm.
- Aperture blades – 9.
- Length – 117mm.
- Weight – 576g.
- Mount – Sony E-mount.
- Price – $730, availability late June 2020 (can change based on your global location/pandemic status).
Above you can see a first hands-on video by Justin Vasquez from Precision Camera and Video looking at the lens and below you can find another video by Digital Goja looking at the lens (both are not true full reviews but they can give you a first look at this new lens.
Another look at the Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Di III RXD
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section.