In preparation for the actual start of sale of the new and improved RØDE VideoMic Pro+, the company just released an in-depth look at the new shotgun mic which brings a whole host of improvements to one of the industries leading on camera mics.
Early this year RØDE announced a large number of new products (see our video here) including the VideoMic Pro+, however no pricing or availability was known at the time. It took the company over six months to get the new mic ready for the public but if all goes well next month these new mic will start shipping.
So how does the VideoMic Pro+ differ from the older gen VideoMic Pro? here is a list of some of the features of this new mic:
- Frequency range: 20 Hz to approximately 20 kHz
- High-pass filter: user selectable – 75 Hz, 150 Hz
- Sensitivity: -33.6 dB re 1 V/Pa (21.2 mV at 94 dB SPL) ±2dB at 1 kHz
- Dynamic range: 118.8 dB.
- Maximum SPL: 133 dB SPL.
- Signal to noise ratio: 79.8 dB.
- Battery: LB-1 Battery Life: Over 100 hours (can work with 2 AA batteries), charge on the go via USB (with LB-1).
- Connections: Dual mono (one channel with -10db) / unbalanced stereo 3.5 mm jack (this time the 3.5mm cable is detachable).
- Automatic on/off: when connecting to you camera turn the camera on/off and the mic will power on/off accordingly.
- Windshield: better wind protection and base for improved vibration reduction.
- Weight: 4.3 oz (122 g).
You can now pre order the VideoMic Pro+ on B&H for just under $300 (it should be available starting August 2017).
On LensVid we have a very extensive section devoted to sound recording for video productions which covers both equipment and techniques here on LensVid.