Venus Optics ‘Laowa’ 60mm f/2.8 Macro 2:1 Lens Review
Photographer Christopher Frost recently published a review of the super macro Laowa 60mm f/2.8 lens by the new and innovative Chinese manufacturer Venus Optics.
The Laowa 60mm lens has an impressive 2:1 magnification (double that of a normal macro lens) and it is the only lens of it’s kind for Nikon users as far as we know (canon users has the well known Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x and there are very very few other super macro lenses out there).
Quick reminder of the features of the Venus Optics ‘Laowa’ 60mm f/2.8 lens:
- Focal length: 60mm (full frame coverage, focuses to infinity on APS-C, macro shooting only on FF).
- Aperture: max f/2.8 (min f/22).
- min shooting distance: 18.5 cm.
- Max magnification 2:1. (twice that of a normal modern macro lens).
- Manual focus only.
- Filter size: 63mm.
- Weight 503 grams.
- Aperture blades: 14 (!).
- Mounts: Canon/Nikon/Sony A/Pentax.
- Price: $380 (online).
This isn’t the first time that we bring you a review of the ‘Laowa’ 60mm f/2.8 lens – when this lens was first announced we published here Thomas Shahan’s review of the lens which was also very positive.