First Look at the VENUS V-DX 60mm f/2.8 2:1 Super-Macro Lens (and Some Macro Shooting Tips)
Macro photographer Thomas Shahan recently had a chance to be one of the first to look at the new Chinese VENUS V-DX 60mm f/2.8 2:1 Ultra-Macro Lens.
The new Venus lens has an impressive 2:1 magnification and it is the only lens of it’s kind for Nikon users as far as we know (canon users has the well known Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x and there are very very few other super macro lenses out there).
Here are some general lens specs:
- Focal length: 60mm (full frame coverage, focuses to infinity on APS-C, macro shooting only on FF).
- Aperture: max f/2.8 (min f/22).
- min shooting distance: 18.5 cm.
- Max magnification 2:1. (twice that of a normal modern macro lens).
- Manual focus only.
- Filter size: 63mm.
- Weight 503 grams.
- Aperture blades: 14 (!).
- Mounts: Canon/Nikon/Sony A/Pentax.
- Price: $380 (online).
Cool bonus clip – Shahan talks about his methods for macro photography
We had our own video and extensive look at super macro photography and the Japanese made Nanoha 5:1 lens. We are hoping to do our own review of the Venus later this year.
You can find many more previews and reviews on our Photography review section here on LensVid.