Last week Blackmagic Design introduced the latest version of its DaVinci Resolve video editing software. Since the announcement, several creators published their own videos looking at their favorite new features and updates (and this list is very long), and in this article, we are going to go over some of these new features that have been introduced into DaVinci Resolve 17.
if you have the patience you can watch the very long video above by Blackmagic which is a sort of a long-form introduction to the features of DaVinci Resolve 17. If you want a more succinct version keep on reading.
DaVinci Resolve 17 new features from the official Blackmagic Design site
Here are some of the new features of DaVinci Resolve 17 in a list form:
- HDR grading tools.
- Newly designed primary color controls.
- Color warper – Mesh-based warping tools – adjust two color parameters at once (hue and saturation or chroma and luma).
- AI-based magic mask tool using the DaVinci Neural Engine which can automatically mask a person or specific part like a face).
- Improved scopes – you can now open multiple versions of the same scope (for example to set different tonal and zoom ranges).
- New wipe modes – allows for additional flexibility for comparing clips in different ways (new split-screen mode for comparing different frames within the same clip and more).
- Newly designed Fairlight audio engine (works with up to 2,000 tracks at a time).
- Multi-user collaboration/multi-sound editors.
- Optional Fairlight audio accelerator card.
- A new transient analysis tool (for marking specific sounds/words for easier editing).
- A new multi-column view for easily viewing effects, transitions, and titles.
- New and innovative FlexBus architecture (designed for audio routing without any limitations).
- Precision audio trimming (both on the cut page timeline and on the visual trimmer).
- A new smart reframe feature (via the Neural Engine cut and edit pages, similar to PP but with manual options as well).
- New live effect, title, and transition previews (also on the cut and edit pages)
- New proxy media workflows (with very small resolutions up to 1/16th in both H.264, H.265, ProRes or DNxHR formats).
- A new option to import and edit projects directly from the Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro ISO.
These are just a few out of what Blackmagic is claiming are over 100 new features and 200 improvements to existing features that DaVinci Resolve 17 brought with it. there are basically new features and advancements on all of the program pages including the color page, Fairlight Page, Cut page, Edit Page, Fusion page as well as new collaboration tools.
Just like with previous versions of DaVinci Resolve, this new iteration still has a completely free downloadable option (see here) and a DaVinci Resolve Studio 17 paid version selling for just under $300 (see differences here).
Here are a number of videos by different creators looking at their favorite new features and updates in DaVinci Resolve 17.
MrAlexTech on his favorite new time-saving features in DaVinci Resolve 17
Billy Rybka on 5 of his top features you really need to know about
EposVox full walkthrough of DaVinci Resolve 17
You can find more articles and videos looking at different aspects of video editing on our special section here on LensVid.