A First Look at the Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE
Earlier today Samyang introduced a fast autofocus capable portrait lens for Sony Full Frame cameras – the Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE.
The new lens enters a very crowded category – Sony currently has the very capable FE 85mm f/1.4 GM, Sigma has its own 85mm F1.4 Art DG HSM for Sony E while both are extremely capable they are also fairly heavy and the Sigma is also very large and long (thanks to the DSLR initial design and built-in adaptor). The new Samyang lens is significantly smaller and lighter than both Sony and Sigma lenses and is also far less expensive.\
In fact, the new Samyang lens is much closer in its size and weight (and price) to the (very capable – but slower) Sony SEL85F18 85mm F/1.8.
The Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE
Here is what we know about the lens:
- 85mm f/1.4 with full frame coverage for Sony cameras.
- 11 elements in 8 groups (including 1 Extra Low Dispersion (ED) and 4 High Refractive (HR) elements).
- Ultra Multi Coating (UMC).
- 9 blade aperture diaphragm.
- Water and dust proof construction.
- Min focus distance: 0.9m / 1.95ft.
- 77mm filter thread.
- Size: t 3.91 inches (99.5 millimeters) long; 3.46 inches (88 millimeters) in diameter.
- Weight: 1.25 pounds (568 grams).
- Price: There is still no official pricing in Europe or the U.S. but our sources tell us that the lens will cost around $800 starting from April 2019.
Another official Samyang video on the new lens
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section.