A Look at Osmo – DJI’s 4K Camera and Integrated Gimbal
Earlier today DJI introduced the Osmo – a small lightweight camera gimbal system which is the same gimbal technology found on the company’s industry-leading quadcopters.
Osmo is a 3-axis gimbal which should allow for steady handheld shooting at odd and otherwise difficult shooting positions. The handheld unit comes with a 4K capable camera and the user can choose betwen the small and light X3 (with 1/2.3″ 12MP sensor or the X5/X5R 1″ sensor with 16MP resolution which should preform much better in low light).
There are a number of control options on the hand grip but for real control you will need your smartphone which you can mount on the side of the Osmo to actually see what you are recording in real time and control different aspects of the unit.
DJI Osmo – Southwestern United States
Osmo – On Set with the X5
The X3 version has the following specs:
- Lens: wide angle 94 degree (22mm or 35mm equivalent).
- Sensor: Sony Exmor R CMOS 1/2.3-inch sensor
- Video: 4K (4096 x 2160) 24/25p as well as UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) 24/25/30p, 2.7K (2704 x 1520) 24/25/30p, HD: 1920 x 1080 24/25/30/48/50/60/120p
- Bit rate: 60 Mbps.
- Camera res: 12 megapixels (JPEG/DNG for stills).
- Weight: 221 (gimbal only).
- Battery: 60 min run time (6 hrs standby time).
- Connectivity: WIFI.
- Price: $650.
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section on our photo gear channel.