Canon EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II Hands On
The past 48 hours where one of the busiest times in recent years in terms of announcements for the photo industry. Both Sony and Panasonic introduced a whole host of new products and Canon not wanting to be left behind went forward with dual announcements of the all-new EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II cameras.
Both cameras share many of their features and even Canon suggest that users will look at them as sort of sisters and choose one more based on the type of body they prefer than on specs alone. Regardless there are a number of clear differences besides the external physical build and ergonomics.
Here are some of the main features of both cameras (including a number of differences):
- Sensor: 32.5 Megapixel APS-C
- AF technology: Dual Pixel autofocus (and 45-point all cross-type AF through the viewfinder in the 90D)
- Metering: a new 220k-pixel metering sensor (including face detection technology)
- Shooting speed 10 fps (90D) and 14fps (M6 MKII).
- Display: fully articulating 3″ touchscreen.
- Viewfinder optical viewfinder 100% coverage (90D) and an optional 2.4m dot EVF (M6 MKII).
- Video: up to 4K/30p (no crop).
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi + Bluetooth.
- Connections: USB-C (USB 2.0), mic and headphones (90D).
- Battery life: 1860 (90D) and 410 (M6 MKII).
- Prices: EOS 90D – 1200$ the M6 MKII – 850$ (available in mid-September 2019).
Both cameras are missing on sensor stabilization which puts them in a disadvantage especially compared to Sony’s offering (and potentially Fuji’s upcoming models).
Official Canon video looking at the EOS 90D features and specs
Chris and Carry Rodes from DPR with both the new Canon cameras
Canon had an important announcements related to the RF line including major firmware update to the AF of both the R and RP cameras – see the video below:
Canon also announced three new important RF lenses (two will be available soon and one in development):
- RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM – ultra-wide-angle zoom with image stabilization (5 stops) priced at $2300.
- RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM – the first of Canon’s pro main zoom lenses. This massive lens weighs 900g and will be priced at $2300.
- RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM – this upcoming lens is still in development (no price or release date were given at this point).
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section on our photo gear channel.