TASCAM TM-2X – New Microphone Pair for Your DSLR
Tascam recently announced a new microphone unit specifically designed for recording high-quality audio in DSLR and mirrorless cameras. The new Tascam TM-2X is a stereo X-Y pattern microphone made for DSLR cameras and it allows users to utilize the same cardioid mics made popular on Tascam’s DR-Series PCM recorders and record straight into their camera of choice.
The TM-2X has two high-quality mic capsules which can be rotated 180 degrees horizontally and accept high sound pressure levels up to 125 dB SPL. They are equipped with a low-cut filter which you can turn off), a two-stage output level as well as a floating support structure built in order to eliminate noise from the camera (it also has an isolation arm which is made in for distancing the mics from the auto-focus noise caused by the camera lens – if you happen to use AF in video).
Here is a list of features of the Tascam TM-2X:
- 2 high-grade stereo condenser microphones.
- Can be mounted directly to the camera accessory shoe and swiveled by up to 180 degrees to capture sound sources in front or behind the user.
- Tripod attachment screw-hole (1/4-inch) to place the microphone apart from the camera.
- XY orientation for clear stereo definition and minimal phase differences.
- Accepts high sound pressure level up to 125 dB SPL.
- Switchable input sensitivity for optimum performance with any camera model.
- Switchable filter to minimize unwanted low-frequency noise.
- Operates with plug-in power – no battery needed.
- Noise isolation arm included to reduce possible noise being recorded from the camera’s lens or stabilizer mechanisms.
- Fur windscreen included to reduce noise being recorded in outdoor situations.
- Price: $130 (available at B&H).
You can find many more sound and video related equipment on our HDSLR section here on LensVid.