Announced: Panasonic GH4 – 4K for the Masses
Earlier today Panasonic announced its long awaited GH4 advanced mirrorless camera. This is the latest model from the GH hybrid (video and stills oriented) cameras and it brings a host of new improvements over the GH3 primarily in the video department with it a capability to shoot 4K videos – for the first time in any mirrorless camera (and something that you can currently only find on the Canon 1DC on the DSLR side).
The new Panasonic GH4
Here are some of the main features of the Panasonic GH4:
- Sensor: A new 16.05 MP Live MOS (micro 4/3).
- Image processor: New quad-core imaging processor – Venus Engine 9AHD.
- Sensitivity: 200-25,600 ISO (improved over the GH3).
- Shutter speed: 60- 1/8000 seconds.
- Viewfinder: digital – 2,359K-Dot OLED Live.
- LCD: Tilting 3.0″ 1,036k-Dot OLED Monitor.
- Wireless Connectivity: Wi-Fi/NFC.
- Advanced features: Focus Peaking, silent mode, Highlight/Shadow Control, RAW data development in Camera and more.
- Shooting speed: up to 12fps burst shooting (AF-S) and up to 7.0fps in continuous AF (up to 40 images buffer in RAW).
- AF: Face / Eye Detection AF or 49-point AF with Custom Multi AF mode (up to 00.7 AF with the new Depth From Defocus” (DFD) technology – currently only with Panasonic lenses).
- Flash: Built-in/external flash (sync speed max.1/250 second).
- Video: 4K video in MOV & MP4 (resolutions include: 4K 24p – 4096×2160, 4K – 3840×2160 30p/24p.
- More video: 4:2:0 internal SD recording / 4:2:2 out to external recording devices (4K – 100Mbps Bitrate, 1080p – up to 200Mbps; ALL-Intra or IPB Compression).
- Sound: 3.5mm headphone jack for live audio monitoring while recording (many more options for connections including XLRs SDIs micro HDMI with the optional DMW-YAGH /AG-YAGH – attachable interface unit).
- Storage: a single SD UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) – 30 MB/sec data stream guaranteed.
- Price and availability: not yet announced (Panasonic all but promised that the camera will cost under $2K later this year).
Panasonic GH4 official page.
The LUMIX GH4 Shooting impression by Bryan Harvey through his work “Light of the Yucatan”
The LUMIX GH4 Shooting impression by Takehito Miyatake through his work “The Land of South Kyushu – Where Fire and Water Gush Out”
Two more images of the new GH4
You can find many more photography gear announcements and new products on our photography gear section here on LensVid.