Earlier this week GoPro introduced its 9’th Hero Black action camera (after the usual leaks and rumors). This new version brings with it a higher resolution sensor for stills and video, new improved battery life, large screen (and body), new versions of its Superphoto and HDR technology with some other improvements and tweaks.
We kind of skipped the GoPro 9 announcement earlier this week (a year after the previous generation which we covered here) so for those who also missed it or for those who want some more in-depth compassion with previous GoPro cameras we are bringing you some information and a number of interesting comparisons.
Here are some of the specs for the GoPro HERO 9:
- Sensor: 20MP new sensor with HDR SuperPhoto feature (vs. the 12MP sensor of the Hero 8).
- Video shooting up to 5K 30p & 4K @60p, 2.7K @120p, and 1080P @240p.
- Max lens mod adds a wider field view (digital lenses: SuperView, Wide, Linear, Narrow).
- Live Streaming + Webcam features.
- Time Lapse, TimeWarp Night Lapse modes.
- 2.27″ rear touch LCD (vs. 2″ on the Hero 8).
- New 1.4” front color display with live preview and status modes
- Waterproof up to 10m/33ft without a case.
- Built-in GPS.
- Hindsight feature – captures video from 30 seconds before you press record.
- Voice control functionality (14 commands in 11 languages + 6 accents).
- Microphones: 3 built-in mics and improved built-in speaker.
- Image stabilization: HyperSmooth 3.0 (new High and Boost options).
- Memory storage: microSD (class 10 or UHS-I rating).
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth.
- Battery: 30% longer battery life compared to the Hero 8 (with a new heavier battery).
- Hero 9 is about 10% larger than the Hero 8.
Lots of comparisons between the Hero 9 and other cameras by DC Rainmaker
The Verge of the Hero 9
19 things you want to know about the Hero 9
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section on our photo gear channel.