During the weekend RED – pro video and cinema equipment manufacturer, announced a new camera body called RED RAVEN which is aimed to be much smaller and lighter than current bodies and aimed at professionals who require high image quality on the go as well as very high quality drone and gimbal users.
According to RED the new RED RAVEN “boasts the full capabilities of the RED DRAGON sensor family, Weighing in at just 3.5 lbs (1.5kg), allowing for flexibility and performance when shooting documentaries, online content creation, indie filmmaking, or with drones and gimbals”. The very short video above is currently the only real tangible thing that we can show you of the RAVEN besides a few press images.
The RAVEN – a new “small” camera body from RED
Here are some of the specs for the Raven (more can be found info on the RED website).
- Sensor similar to that of the RED DRAGON Sensor (smaller than APS-C, slightly bigger than Micro 4/3).
- RAW: 4K (4096 × 2160) up to 120 fps / RAW: 3K (3072 × 1620) up to 160 fps / RAW: 2K (2048 × 1080) up to 240 fps.
- Support Apple ProRes 422 HQ, 422, LT: up to 2K (2048 × 1080) and up to 60 fps
- Uses RED mini-mags for storage.
- Ethernet, RS232, and GPI Trigger with Expander Modules (plus WIFI control, but not monitoring).
- Built-in Scratch Microphone (with dual channel 24bit 48khz).
Pricing starts relatively low for the “brain” only – under $6k – however a full package ready to shoot will cost you just short of $10k (availability will be February -march 2016).
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section.