Samsung Introduces 16TB SSD and Two Huge Smartphones
Earlier today Samsung introduced several new products including the largest ever SSD and 2 (very) large smartphones – the Galaxy Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 edge plus.
We will start with the PM1633a (yes horrible name, we know) – the new 16TB SSD from Samsung, and yes you are reading this correctly 16TB on a single 2.5″ SSD. This amazing feat was achieved using Samsung’s new 256Gbit (32GB) NAND flash die; twice the capacity of 128Gbit NAND dies that is used in most SSDs today which Samsung somehow managed to cram 48 layers of in 3-bits-per-cell (TLC) 3D V-NAND into a single die (if you want more on the technical side check out arstechnica’s article).
There is no pricing yet, but it will be very expensive and aimed at enterprise users (some estimates are talking about $5k or more). However if you consider that 10 years ago Samsung released their first SSD which was only 64GB and cost $1000 and now you can buy 2TB Samsung SSD for the same price (but with much faster performance of course) – you quickly see that this technology isn’t going to stay at the enterprise level for a long time.
Samsung SSD – the new PM1633a has a capacity of 16TB on a 2.5″ drive
As for the new phones, they are both very similar – same size same specs (almost identically besides the Pen features). Not a lot has changed since the Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge which we looked at here besides the screen size.
Here are some of the general specs (both models are almost identical hardware-wise):
- Processors: 8 cor Samsung Exynos 7420, 14nm.
- OS: Android 5.1.1.
- RAM: 4GB,
- Storage: 32GB internal only.
- LCD: 5.7-inch Quad HD (2.560 x 1.440) Super AMOLED display (518 ppi), Gorilla Glass 4.
- Cameras: main/back camera 16-megapixel (1/2.6-inch BSI CMOS sensor), f1.9, OIS, Real-time HDR, 4K video, Image stabilization. Front camera – 5-megapixel, f1.9 with 90 degree angle view.
- Connectivity: LTE,Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE/4, Micro-USB, NFC.
- Battery: 3.000 mAh battery, wireless charging, Fast Charge.
- Pen: S-Pen stylus (Note 5 only).
- Price: No information on contract-free pricing has been released at the present time.
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section.