Steadicam has been a pioneer in the image stabilization industry for decades, creating solutions used by the video and film industry worldwide. Now the company tries to take a digital step forward with the introduction of a Kickstarter campaign for the “Steadicam Volt” – a digital stabilized solution with added inertia.
Electronic gimbals are great, however, as the video above shows – they are not necessarily well suited for tracking fast movement in a smooth and stable fashion. The Steadicam Volt on the other hand uses both mechanical stabilization and electronic (gyro) stabilization.
The Volt has 2 modes – a sport mode which is meant to assists in capturing fast moving moments and a movie mode for more freedom in creating cinema like movements.
Here you can see an example of the movement speed between a 3 axis gimbal and the Volt
A few other advantages of the Volt according to Steadicam:
- The unit is lightweight and the folding design enable easy storage and transportation
- Accompanying iOS & Android APP allows for precise balance and tuning
- Haptic control utilizes Simulated Inertia
- Dual operating modes for beginners and experienced users
- Uses long life rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries
- Accommodates phone sizes with or without case from 100 – 200g in weight and 58 to 80mm wide.
- Bluetooth enabled.
- Works in manual mode even after your batteries are depleted.
As for pricing, the Volt is currently on Kickstarter starting at$139.
Quick demo of the Volt in CES 2017
We would really like to see a somewhat larger version which can accommodate small-mid size cameras as well and we hope to talk about this with the company after CES.