Smart Objects can be a really useful time-saving, powerful tools in any Photoshop user arsenal. On this short video, Julieanne Kost from Adobe takes a look at why and how to use them.
So here are the 5 things that smart objects can do for you:
- Preserve the data of your original layers.
- Edit directly in camera RAW by double-clicking the layer.
- Apply as many transformations as you want without degrading the quality of the original image.
- Apply editable filters and adjustments.
- Update multiple layers at once.
If you think that any of those can be relevant to your workflow just go ahead and turn these objects into smart-objects and start working ahead.
This isn’t the first time that we have been looking at smart objects (and smart filters) in Photoshop. Howard Pinsky covered “What are Smart Objects in Photoshop?“, A few years back we had a video by Photoshop’s senior product manager Bryan O’Neil Hughes which also looked at smart objects and how to use them and finally, Kost herself looked at How to Use Adobe Camera Raw as a Smart Filter in Photoshop.