A first Look at the GoPro Hero 7 Black vs. Hero 6 vs. Sony X3000
GoPro just introduced their new line of GoPro 7 action cameras (which this time around includes 3 cameras – white, silver and black) and Wired tech writer Brent Rose decided to take the top of the line Hero7 Black and compare it with the older Hero 6 Black and the Sony X3000 (which is yet another action camera but with a true optical image stabilizer).
So what is new on the GoPro Hero 7? well – lets start with what isn’t – the sensor is the same one as that from the GoPro Hero 6 – so while you will see some improvement in image quality (colors, for example, seems different and there are some other differences), the basic capabilities of the camera in terms of IQ are not that different from the previous generation.
Probably the biggest improvement has to do with stabilization which is now significantly improved (although surely not gimbal like as GoPro are claiming in their marketing material).
Here are some specs for the Hero 7:
- Record 4K@60, 2.7K@120, and 1080p@240 videos.
- Capture 12MP photos at up to 30 fps.
- HyperSmooth video stabilization.
- 1GB of extra RAM.
- Vertical portrait mode.
- SuperPhoto Auto HDR (for stills).
- 33′/10m waterproof without a housing.
- Touch zoom framing via a 2″ LCD.
- Face, Smile, and scene detection.
- Live Streaming (720p only via WIFI/phone).
- TimeWarp video (hyperlapse style video).
- Improved sound/mics
- Voice Control feature.
- Raw photos capture.
- Price: $400 for the black version, $300 for the silver and $200 for the white.
DC Rainmaker gives 16 things you need to know about the different new features of the camera
Casey Neistat also had some fun with the Hero 7
You can find many more photography gear announcements and new products on our photography gear section here on LensVid.