First Look at the New Nikon 1 J5
Nikon introduced this morning a new mirrorless camera which includes a number of new features including a first for Nikon – 4K video shooting capability (but there is a catch).
Nikon today announced a new member to it’s 1 line of mirrorless cameras called 1 J5. This new version includes a new back lit illuminated 20MP sensor (1 inch) a completely new processor (Expeed 5A) capable of very fast continuous shooting speed (up to 20 fps) and – for the very first time with Nikon cameras – 4K video shooting (the catch – only 15 frames per second).
Most of the rest of the camera is pretty similar to what we already know from the 1 J line before (the camera does have a 180 tilt touch screen for selfies and WIFI/NFC built in).
- Sensor: 20 MP – a new 1″ size 2.7x crop factor back lit sensor.
- EXPEED 5A advanced processing engine (first time in a Nikon camera).
- LCD: 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots tilt touchscreen.
- AF: 105 Phase-detection AutoFocus Points.
- Continuous shooting: 20 frames per second continuous shooting with AF-C.
- Video 1080/60p and 4K in up to 15p.
- Built in WiFi and Near Field Communication (NFC).
- Price: just under $500 with 10-30mm lens (pre-order now on amazon).
Another official Nikon 1 J5 video
As we noted, the 4K capabilities of the 1 J5 are very limited – the camera can only shoot 4K in 15 fps. This is isn’t terribly useful and is more of a gimmick than anything else. What is interesting is the processor (Expeed 5) which will probably make an appearance in some of the upcoming DSLR from Nikon later this year and bring new capabilities (including what we believe is going to be real 4K capabilities).
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section on our photo gear channel.