First Look at the Panasonic GH5S
CES 2018 is here and Panasonic has just unveiled its new flagship low light camera – the (long rumored) GH5S. This new model will not replace the GH5 but will exist alongside it as a more specialized camera.
The GH5S is very similar to the existing GH5 (externally there is almost no difference apart from the red writing on the front). The difference between the two is mostly internal and has to do with the sensor which is of much lower resolution and has no built-in image stabilization like the GH5 but on the plus side has a much improved dynamic range and even more so – sensitivity. Other than that maybe the only major difference is the shooting speed in video – the GH5S is capable of 1080p up to 240fps (and should be better overall. 4K still max out at 60p). Last thing – Panasonic claims the GH5S also improves the AF – but this will need to be tested independently before we can say anything about that.
Here are some of the specs of the GH5S (we marked the changes from the GH5 – there are quite a few smaller ones):
- Sensor: 10.28MP Multi-Aspect Ratio MOS sensor.
- Processor – Venus Engine Image Processor.
- Video resolution: 4K/60p – no crop (Output Only).
- Internal 4:2:2 – 10bit.
- ISO – up to 51,600 (with a new dual Native ISO 400 and ISO 2500).
- AF sensitivity – up to –5 EV (vs. -4EV of the GH5).
- Continuous shooting (stills) – 12 fps.
- 14-bit Raw stills shooting.
- No 6K Anamorphic Video Mode.
- No 5-Axis Sensor Stabilization; Dual I.S. 2 (support lens stabilization only).
- Slow motion (Variable Frame Rate): Max of 240fps in FHD.
- Full size HDMI (Type A/USB 3.1).
- 3.2″ 1,620-dot Free Angle touch monitor.
- 0.76x 3.68m-Dot OLED Viewfinder with 120fps refresh rate in the electronic viewfinder.
- 4K Hybrid Log Gamma (4K HDR Video) and LUT-corrected display in playback as well as capture.
- SD Card Slota: dual UHS-II U3.
- No Recording Time Limit (at least on the U.S. version).
- Waveform Monitor Display + separate video menu mode.
- Formats – .MOV, MP4 (AAC, LPCM) AVCHD Progressive; H265 encoding for 60/50p.
- Body – Splash, Dust, Freezeproof Up to -10 degrees Celsius.
- Bluetooth + WIFI.
- Weight: 1.45 lbs / 660 grams.
- Power: Same batteries as GH5.
- Price: $2500 (available – Fabruary 2018).
Our colleague Johny from Cinema5D did his own first look at the GH5s
digiDIRECT’s look at the GH5S
You can find many more previews and reviews on our Photography review section here on LensVid.