Earlier today Nikon announced the first ever water proof/shock proof and freeze proof mirrorless camera – the 1 AW1. This tiny little camera is basically a rugged version of the existing 1 J3 camera from Nikon with two new water/shock resistant lenses (11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 and a 10mm f/2.8).
The video above shot by the guys at What Digital Camera has a Nikon representative talking about some of the features of the new camera – Briefly:
- 15m (50ft) Waterproof, 2m (6.6ft) shockproof and (-10c or 14f) freezeproof.
- 14.2MP C-format (1″ size 2.7x crop factor) sensor.
- 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots.
- GPS, compass, altimeter, and depth meter.
- Action Control system for shooting underwater or when using gloves.
- 15 fps burst mode with continuous AF and up to 60 fps with single AF.
The Nikon 1 AW1 with a 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 rugged lens will set you back about $800 (pre-order on Amazon).
A sample video shot with the new Nikon 1 AW1 underwater