What You Need to Know About the Panasonic GH5
Earlier today as part of CES 2017, Panasonic officially announced the GH5 camera with a large number of improved capabilities over its existing GH4 flagship.
We have seen the GH5 (or actually a pretty early prototype at Photokina 2016 last year), than the company had very little to say about the camera, however with the official introduction today, we now have a much wider understanding of this new camera which will offer quite a few important improvements in almost every aspect.
In the video above Sean Robinson from Panasonic talks to Doug Guerra from B&H about the new camera and explain some of these features (as well as some of the upcoming features – coming in two planned firmware updates in the next year or so).
Here are some of the main features of the new GH5:
- Sensor: 20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor (no AA filter).
- Processor – a new Venus Engine Image Processor.
- Video resolution: 4K/60p – no crop (Output Only).
- Internal 4:2:2 – 10bit (available April, 2017).
- ISO – up to 25600.
- Continuous shooting – 12 fps.
- 6K Anamorphic Video Mode (4:3) – Available Summer, 2017
- 5-Axis Sensor Stabilization; Dual I.S. 2.
- Slow motion (Variable Frame Rate): Max of 180fps/23.98 in FHD
- Improved Auto Focus (0.05 sec AF, 9 FPS AF Burst)
- Full size HDMI (Type A/USB 3.1)
- 3.2″ 1,620-dot Free Angle touch monitor.
- 0.76x 3.68m-Dot OLED Viewfinder
- 4K Hybrid Log Gamma (4K HDR Video) – Available Summer, 2017
- SD Card Slota: dual UHS-II U3.
- No Recording Time Limit (at least on the U.S. version).
- Waveform Monitor Display + separate video menu mode.
- Formats – .MOV, MP4 (AAC, LPCM) AVCHD Progressive; H265 encoding for 60/50p.
- Body – Splash, Dust, Freezeproof Upto -10 Degrees Celsius
- Bluetooth + WIFI.
- Weight: 2.0 lbs / 900 grams.
- Power: Same batteries as GH4 (but with a new , smaller optional external XLR unit).
- Price: $2000 (available – March 2017).
Another more extensive look at the GH5
An interesting interview with Panasonic’s M. Uematsu-san (by cinema5d)
Besides the GH5 Panasonic (alongside Leica) announced a new LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT 12-60mm / F2.8-4.0 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. for micro-4/3 sensor cameras – this lens will ship in late March for $1000.
The new LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT 12-60mm / F2.8-4.0
Panasonic also updated the following lenses with new versions that add Power OIS system that works with the new 5-axis Dual I.S. and Dual I.S.2 systems as well as a new exterior finish and a new iris for smoother automatic exposure changes (and updated autofocus system for faster readout). These are the lenses:
- LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm F2.8 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
- LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm F2.8 II POWER O.I.S.
- LUMIX G VARIO 45-200mm F4.0-5.6 II POWER O.I.S.
- LUMIX G VARIO 100-300mm F4.0-5.6 II POWER O.I.S.
You can find many more photography gear announcements and new products on our photography gear section here on LensVid.