Yesterday Nikon officially announced the D850 – its new high-resolution top camera which brings a whole host of new and updated features.
The full specs of the D850 already leaked (very accurately) a few weeks ago and we have published it here so it isn’t as if most of the things that this camera can do are new to most of the people who were paying attention but this is still a very interesting camera and one of the most exciting announcements of 2017.
On the video above from B&H, photographer David Flores puts the D850 to work shooting a dancer in different lighting setups and testing out the new camera features. Bellow you can find another (more technical) hands on from the guys at the London Camera Exchange:
Full specs of the Nikon D850:
- 45.7MP Full Frame BSI (first for Nikon FX) CMOS sensor with no AA filter.
- A new and improved version of SnapBridge.
- No built-in GPS or built in flash.
- 3.2″ tilt touch screen (similar to the D7500 with menu touch as well – which does not exist on the D500).
- Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD (similar to the D500 with UHS-II SD card support).
- AF system with 153 points, (30% more frame coverage compared to the D810, -3EV center point and smaller AF points).
- Back illuminated buttons.
- Joystick selector for focus (similar to D500).
- Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (and improved Snapbridge).
- 4k video with no crop up to 30p and 120p in 1080p. 8K time-lapse in camera.
- Improved LiveView split-screen display
- Improved silent shooting mode: fully-silent, no-sound electronic shutter in live view (6 fps silent shooting, no mechanical movement, can shoot up to 30fps @ 8MP with the electronic shutter)
- Native ISO range: 64-25,600 (ISO 64 extendable down to ISO 32 and up to 108,400).
- Shooting speed – 7fps (9fps with grip).
- 51 images raw buffer at 14-bit RAW.
- 0.75x optical viewfinder (largest ever on a Nikon digital cameras).
- Light meter – 180k RGB meter.
- Built-in focus stacking: up to 300 pictures with up to 10 levels of focusing steps (users will still need external software to combine the images).
- RAW sizes: small, medium, large (46MP, 25MP, 11MP).
- New 1:1 mode (Instagram etc. at over 30MP).
- New natural light AWB.
- Battery – EN-EL15a with up to 1840 images per charge.
- Weight – 915 grams (just over 1kg with the battery).
- Price: $3300 (pre-order), availability – during September 2017.
The TCSTV guys have a long (and a bit drunk) first look at the D850
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section on our photo gear channel.