During IBC 2022 which ended last month, we had a chance to talk to Désirée who showed us the latest Orca Bags OR-516 trolley case which has some very unique tricks up its sleeves.
For those who are unfamiliar with the brand, Orca is an Israeli brand belonging to Band Pro, a multi-national company that has made a name for itself by creating specialized bags and accessories for sound recorders and broadcast professionals as well as video and cinema shooters.
Over the years the company developed not only bags but also some very interesting specialized accessories like this camera umbrella with a cold shoe to 1/4″-20 Adapter as well as this heavy-duty sand/water bag unit (it has a special bladder that you can easily fill with water).
Orca Bags OR-516 Trolley Case
During the show, we had a chance to talk to Désirée from Orca who showed us the company’s newest trolly bag, the Orca Bags OR-516 which has some very unique features that we have yet to see in any other similar camera trolly bags.
There are 4 special features of this bag:
- Hidden backpack system – in the back of the bag there is a hidden back strap system that you can uncover and use to place the bag on your back when walking up a long staircase, on gravel or any other place where you don’t want to use it as a conventional rolling bag.
- Two-level waterproofing – the bag use special waterproof zippers and the bag itself is made from a type of waterproof material that should survive some series rain (the bag also has a rain cover if you really need it).
- External USB port – you can use a power bank and charge a tablet/smartphone while waiting at the airport.
- Internal and external laptop storage – a padded external pocket for up to 17” laptop for easy use and also a storage place inside the bag.
The OR-516 bag with the backpack system
Playing around with the bag at the show we were very impressed with the rugged rainproof material and zippers as well as the retractable handle (which is always a weak point for these heavy-duty camera trolleys. The backpack system is a really clever idea (although we need to test it to see really how convenient it is) and the built-in charge port is cool (although a dual USB A/USB C combo that can pass USB-C PD would probably be better).
USB connector on the outside and memory card holders with easy access
Here are some of the other main features of the bag:
- Two padded carrying handles (one at an angle for easier carrying).
- Internal mesh pockets for accessory storage – both are transparent.
- External pockets for smartphone and passport
- Two external straps for carrying a small tripod, light stand, or monopod.
- 13 removable, fully adjustable internal dividers (all in bright yellow color).
- User-replaceable wheels – in case one of the wheels fail you can contact Orca and get a replacement and change it on your own.
The bag has external dimensions are: length: 55cm/21.5” width: 40cm/15.8” and height: 25cm/10” with a 5.2 kg
11.4 lb weight (empty).
Room for a large laptop both inside and outside for easier access
Pricing and availability
The Orca Bags OR-516 trolley case is already available for $323.
For more of our coverage on LensVid from IBC 2022 – please visit the following link.