On this video by photographer Lee Morris (co-founder of fstoppers.com) takes a look at the DJI Phantom 4 that was released earlier this year and gives his impressions of this drone compared to the older DJI Phantom 3.
The DJI Phantom 4 was announced this March and it brings to the table quite a few things including a new design for both the drone itself and the control unit as well as several flight and control features (see below).
In the video Morris tries to give us his take on the drone which seems to work great (apart from a strange habit of descending by a few meters after flying straight and stopping but the big question is – is it really worth the extra cost over the Phantom 3 (for Moriss the answer seems to be – not so much).
Here is a reminder of some of the features of the Phantom 4:
- Object Avoidance– the Phantom 4 has new sensors including a sonar which helps it avoid obstacles (just don’t count on it when you are moving your drone backwards).
- Longer Battery Life/Flight Time– the forth version has 28 min which is several more precious minutes we didn’t have
- Advanced Follow Me Features– using the new camera and sensors the drone cane optically track an object (or a person) on the move.
- Advanced materials – although the new version isn’t lighter it is more aerodynamics and more robust.
- Better image quality – the new drone has a better camera and a better lens with some new optics. The resolution is now 4K @ 30p and 1080p at 120p.
Below is another review of the Phantom 4 which is somewhat more positive and enthusiastic (but also less comparative in nature).
Andy Slye DJI Phantom 4 Review
If you don’t want to miss any new photography product be sure to check out our product photography section on our photo gear channel.